Vegan Whipped Chocolate Fudge Frosting + A Heads Up

101_0022

Hello there friends! So lately, I’ve been a mixture of equal parts excited and terrified. Why? Because in about a week and a half, I’ll be leaving the USA and traveling across the ocean to Bulgaria to work for an organization called Bread Houses Network for two whole months. Ahhh!

Of course, knowing me, it’s no surprise that my work will be centered around baking, but what I love so much is that this internship will combine my passion for baking with meaningful service work. Pretty cool stuff, huh? I’ll be bringing along my camera with me, and hopefully I’ll be able to write a few posts about my time in Bulgaria and at the Bread House. If not, though, don’t worry- I’ve still got plenty of delicious recipes to share with you all while I’m gone :)

Which brings me to this dynamite recipe for chocolate frosting. But not just any chocolate frosting, mind you, but a light, impossibly fluffy, fudgy chocolate frosting that will have you forgetting all about the cake underneath. Aaaand it’s vegan, without any butter, cream, or even fake butter substitutes. Yay!

101_0029

The secret to this recipe is the coconut milk. Do you remember when we learned how to make coconut whipped cream? Well we’re basically doing it all again, but this time, adding cocoa powder for maximum chocolate flavor and some extra thick texture. Just like with the whipped cream, it’s important to use full fat coconut milk, not the light kind, or else it won’t whip up properly. Also, you’ll need to refrigerate the can of coconut milk for at least 7 hours or overnight. After that, it’s just a few minutes with the beaters and you’re all good to go!

* * *

Whipped Chocolate Fudge Frosting

Ingredients:

1 can full fat coconut milk

1/4 cup high quality cocoa powder

1/4 powdered sugar (adjust more or less to taste)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

pinch of salt

Directions:

Refrigerate coconut milk at least 7 hours or overnight. Once chilled, turn the can upside down and open it from the bottom. Drain the coconut water from the top, saving to drink or use in smoothies.

Scoop the thick white coconut meat from the bottom of the can into the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat until smooth and fluffy, about 30 seconds. Stop beaters and add the cocoa powder, powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt, then resume beating until thick and fluffy. Store in the refrigerator until using to frost (it will get thicker the longer it chills).

Related posts:

{ 10 comments… add one }
  • Baby June May 21, 2014, 8:32 am

What exciting news for you! I’d love to read about your time in Bulgaria. The frosting looks delightfully simple and tasty too. :)

• A Baking Girl May 21, 2014, 8:55 am

Thanks! Hopefully I’ll have the chance to get some blog posts about Bulgaria up, because I’d really like to share my experiences!

• Sharon March 17, 2016, 8:03 pm

How much will this frost? I made 2 dozen cupcakes and I’m frosting them in the morning…please let me know! :)

• A Baking Girl March 18, 2016, 8:40 pm

Hi Sharon– I’m so sorry to have taken so long to get back to you (I was out of the country and didn’t have internet). But it probably makes enough for one dozen cupcakes, so if you haven’t frosted already I’d suggest doubling the recipe!

• Maryanne Gobble September 19, 2016, 4:54 pm

Tastes great but not enough to frost the top of a 13×9 inch cake, unless I did something wrong? Teach me not to make birthday cakes at the last minute (:

• Maryanne Gobble September 20, 2016, 7:41 pm

Nope, my bad. Once I tried to spread it I could see something went wrong in the whipping process. There are chunks that look like solidified coconut oil. Should I have let it warm up some before whipping? It was super solid. Or maybe try a different brand coconut milk?

• Jessica December 25, 2016, 6:35 pm

this did not turn out for me at all. I followed the directions to a T, but it never got stiff enough to frost a cake and the cocoa never disolved. I should have followed my intuition and melted the cocoa first. What a waste.

• A Baking Girl December 26, 2016, 3:31 pm

Hi Jessica– I’m sorry to hear that! Did you refrigerate the coconut milk before and use only the thick white cream that separated?

• rachel February 3, 2017, 5:36 pm

I was in a rush and stuck the can of coconut milk in the freezer for an hour and it separated well. Saves lots of time!!

• A Baking Girl February 10, 2017, 11:45 am