Tangy Lemon Greek Yogurt Pie

IMG_1145

I’m trying this new thing where I eat citrus and fruit and then it magically becomes warm and sunny outside. Is it working? Well, not necessarily. But it does give me a good excuse to eat pie…

Absolutely none of you should be surprised by the appearance of this recipe here. Honestly, my love of lemon is pretty well documented around these parts. As is my love of pie. And we all know that I throw greek yogurt into just about anything I can get my hands on. So combine all three and what do you get? One heck of a pie, that’s what.

IMG_1153

There’s a reason lemon and greek yogurt are often paired together- the subtle tang of the yogurt is complemented beautifully by that mouth-puckering lemon flavor we all know and love. What’s more, the greek yogurt makes this filling rich and creamy, without all the added fat. And bonus- it hits this pie with a whole load of protein to boot!

But I think the best way to articulate just how tasty (and slightly addictive) this pie truly is, is to let you in on a little secret. This is actually the second one I made in as many days. Why? The first one was gone before I could so much as snap a picture :)

IMG_1158

* * *

Tangy Lemon Greek Yogurt Pie

adapted slightly from Happyolks

1/3 cup sugar

1 cup plain fat free greek yogurt

2 eggs

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

zest of one lemon

one graham cracker pie crust (a recipe can be found here)

Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a graham cracker crust as necessary. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest, rubbing with your fingers or the back of a spoon until the sugar is tinged yellow and smells lemony. This releases the essential oils and makes your pie super lemony and fragrant.

To the lemon sugar, add the yogurt, whisking until fully combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until each is incorporated. Add the lemon juice and mix until the mixture is smooth. Add the filling to the prepared pie crust and bake 25-30 minutes, until the center is set.

Let the pie cool on the stovetop, then allow to chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. This is divine with a little dollop of whipped cream to go with the tangy lemon.

Related posts:

{ 15 comments… add one }
  • Roberta April 5, 2015, 9:46 pm

I made this pie today, definitely tangy but loved the flavor. I have a loaded lemon tree calling out to me so will try more of your lemon based recipes.

Great job with the website!

Thanks.

• A Baking Girl April 6, 2015, 5:39 am

Thanks so much Roberta! I’m so jealous of your lemon tree, that sounds amazing!

• Katherine July 31, 2015, 1:15 pm

Delicious pie! Thank you!

• A Baking Girl August 1, 2015, 4:27 am

Thanks Katherine, I’m glad you enjoyed it!

• heather August 8, 2015, 4:14 pm

I made this and added vanilla yogurt instead of plain yogurt. It made it a little less tangy but still delicious. Also tried adding yogurt with fruit in it and added some extra fruit. Takes a little bit longer to cook, but just as tasty.

• Michele August 8, 2015, 4:28 pm

Love this recipe! Make it a lot. Always looking for options for my lactose intolerant spouse! Recipe had lots of tangy/tart lemon flavor. I’ve also made it with limes. I’ve done a graham cracker coconut crust, graham cracker/almond crust and a regular pie crust – all great. I’ve served it as is, had topped it with cool whip and even done meringue on it. Thanks for a great basic recipe!

• A Baking Girl August 11, 2015, 4:59 pm

Hey Michele, I’m glad you enjoyed it! And both the lime version and the graham cracker/almond crust sound fantastic

• Connie December 4, 2015, 11:08 am

Hello! I tried this recipe last time and the pie was delicious! Thank you. I just have another question. If I wanna make the pie thicker, could I just double the amount of the ingredients?

• A Baking Girl December 4, 2015, 1:30 pm

Yeah absolutely! Just make sure to keep an eye on it in the oven as it will likely need to bake longer.

• Andrea July 11, 2016, 10:26 pm

Hi,
    Do you think this would work if I replaced the sugar with stevia? I am more concerned about texture/ability to bake than the taste. Thanks!

• A Baking Girl July 12, 2016, 12:28 pm

Hi Andrea– I don’t have too much experience baking with stevia, but I think you should be good

• Andrea July 17, 2016, 12:14 am

This is SO good, thank you!! I am doing the Candida diet, so I used Stevia instead of sugar.

I used this gluten-free crust, and added cinnamon and nutmeg for some flavor: https://elanaspantry.com/paleo-pie-crust/

Trying to refrain from eating the whole pie tonight, but we’ll see what happens ;)

• Crystal April 1, 2017, 8:10 pm

Andrea

This was so good. I’m going to make it again but use stevia instead of sugar. Do you think that will work?

Great recipe😇😇