Greek Yogurt Cheesecake

Wow oh wow. Like, seriously, guys. This cheesecake is good.

101_0223

Good, as in the entire thing was nearly finished in fifteen minutes by only four people. Good, as in I almost didn’t have time to take any pictures because there was only one piece left before I could even get my camera. Good, as in it’s light and rich and creamy and utterly satisfying. In fact, it might just blow your socks off in astonishment.

101_0338

You’re welcome. You are so totally welcome.

The most mind-boggling aspect of this whole cheesecake? There’s no cream cheese to be found. Not an ounce. So while a standard slice of cheesecake is loaded with cream cheese, sour cream, whole milk, loads of eggs, and heavy whipping cream (scary, isn’t it?), a slice of this dessert is light and tangy, with a subtle sweetness and creamy texture. I topped it with strawberries, because that’s what I had in the kitchen, but you can use any other fruit or simply eat it plain.

101_0218

I’ve seen some other cheesecake recipes with Greek yogurt, but they either still incorporated lots of cream cheese or ended up having more of a custard texture instead of that of a traditional cheesecake, unlike this recipe, which remains pretty authentic.

101_0333

Even better, it’s unbelievably easy to make. Just throw everything into a food processor and pop it into a springform pan.You don’t even have to worry about the annoying water bath that’s so common in other recipes.

That’s why I like this recipe so much, because it avoids these pitfalls to deliver a satisfying dessert that you won’t have to feel guilty about.

PS: If you want a thicker cheesecake filling, try doubling the recipe, although you may have to increase the baking time a bit. Just make sure to keep an eye on it in the oven and not over bake it.

Like the idea of greek yogurt in cheesecake? Check out this lemon blueberry greek yogurt cheesecake, adapted from this recipe and taken to a whole new level.

* * *

Greek Yogurt Cheesecake

adapted slightly from Eat Live Run

Graham cracker crust (recipe below)

2 cups fat free plain Greek yogurt

1/2 cup sugar

pinch of salt

2 eggs

1 vanilla bean (seeds scraped out) or 2 tsp vanilla extract

1 T cornstarch

optional: sliced strawberries for garnish

Preheat oven to 350F. In a blender or food processor, combine the eggs, sugar, yogurt and vanilla. Blend until smooth, then add cornstarch and pinch of salt and blend again. Pour filling into crust in a 10 inch springform pan, and bake for 35 minutes.

When the cheesecake is done, it will still be jiggly in the center but will have a “done” look to it. The edges of the cake will start to pull away from the sides of the pan. Make sure you don’t overbake.

Let cool then chill for 2-3 hours in the fridge before releasing springform.

Arrange the sliced strawberries over top of the cooled cheesecake and serve.

* * *

Simple Graham Cracker Crust

from Choc. Covered Katie

around 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 10 sheets of graham crackers)

3 tablespoons almond milk

In a food processor, process crackers into fine crumbles. Add milk and process again to combine. Pour now-sticky crumbs into a prepared 10 inch springform pan, and smush down very firmly with your hands or a sheet of wax paper. You don’t need to pre-bake the crust; just pour the filling straight in.

Related posts:

{ 67 comments… add one }

• Penny Austin March 20, 2013, 11:03 am

Whatz the nutritional analysis on the greek yogurt cheesecake?

• A Baking Girl March 20, 2013, 1:49 pm

I actually don’t calculate nutrition facts for my recipes, but I know that there are a lot of websites that you can plug the recipe into and they’ll give you the nutritional analysis.

• Judy March 24, 2013, 9:45 pm

Thanks for this great recipe! I just made it today. My family (especially my mom, who loves eating healthy) and I loved it. My only complaint is that it was a little too tangy for my tastes, but otherwise, it’s a keeper for sure! Best thing is that I didn’t need to go to the grocery store and buy several blocks of extra fat to have my favourite dessert. I really appreciate this!
    Keep it up, and I hope you keep posting recipes!
    -J.

• A Baking Girl March 26, 2013, 11:02 am

Thanks, I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

• Linda April 2, 2013, 4:31 pm

I can’t believe how AMAZING this UNcheesecake is!! I added 1/2 cup of melted chocolate and almond extract to make it an Amaretto Cheesecake and it was FREAKING AWESOME. The consistency is just like regular cheesecake; it slices the same and tastes delicious. I am blown away. I will be making this, and varying the recipe over and over and over again.

• A Baking Girl April 2, 2013, 6:41 pm

Oh my gosh, those additions sound delicious. I’m definitely going to be trying that out soon!

• Marin May 9, 2013, 10:16 pm

How much almond extract did you add? I’ve never baked any kind of cheesecake, but my boyfriend loves them and we are both trying to be healthy so after an extremely long week I thought I’d try this out :)

• Sarah April 25, 2013, 5:37 pm

What could you use instead of corn starch?

• A Baking Girl April 25, 2013, 7:56 pm

I’ve only ever made it with cornstarch, but it would likely work with arrowroot flour instead; that’s probably your best bet. You could also try rice or potato flour, or maybe even almond meal. Again, I don’t know exactly how these substitutions would work, but they’re certainly options if you want to sub for the cornstarch. If you try one of these, let me know how it goes!

• Sarah April 25, 2013, 8:20 pm

Thanks :)What do you think would happen if I just didnt use corn starch?

• A Baking Girl April 26, 2013, 9:33 pm

Hmmm… the pie probably wouldn’t set as well and might not achieve as thick a consistency. That being said, I don’t think it would have too devastating an impact if you just left it out ;) It just might not be quite as “cheesecakey”

• Sarah April 28, 2013, 10:37 pm

Thanks and sorry for all the questions! I am not eating sugar at the moment so would be using Stevia instead – would that change the consistency too much?

• A Baking Girl April 29, 2013, 9:39 am

I’m happy to help! Using stevia shouldn’t change the consistency too much, only the taste.

• Yasmine July 25, 2014, 2:55 am

In the UK you can use custard powder which also has vanilla in it so you cut out a step, that’s how I made it and it turned out perfect!

• Lauren April 28, 2013, 9:41 pm

I heard them talking about Greek yogurt cheesecake on “America’s Test Kitchen,” and I cannot wait to try this recipe. My daughter and one of my best friends both need gluten-free, so I assume I can just get GF graham crackers for the crust. Thanks so much!

• Arin April 29, 2013, 12:10 pm

For the cholesterol conscious (my hubby’s family is LOADED with heart problems and at only 25, the hubs is already on cholesterol meds :/ yikes!) could you sub something like egg beaters for the 2 eggs?

• A Baking Girl April 29, 2013, 5:03 pm

I think egg beaters would probably work as a great substitute, and I’d love to know how they work if you use them!

• Arin April 29, 2013, 5:27 pm

I’m trying it tonight, so I’ll let you know!! :)

• Arin May 2, 2013, 8:18 pm

The egg beaters did the trick just fine! What a great recipe!

• A Baking Girl May 2, 2013, 9:34 pm

Yay! I’m so glad to hear that it turned out well!

• Whitney April 29, 2013, 2:13 pm

Just made this last night for the first time, me and my boyfriend are shocked by how good it tastes! And he’s super picky! I’m going to experiment with adding different flavor extracts like orange or matcha, but I’m really wanting to try making a pumpkin cheesecake with this recipe, I’m not sure how I would do that though… This was the first cheesecake I’ve ever baked.

• A Baking Girl April 29, 2013, 5:02 pm

Ooh pumpkin sounds delicious! I’d love to hear how some of your experiments turn out!

• Linda April 29, 2013, 6:15 pm

I made a pumpkin one by adding 1/2 c canned pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spice. I used ginger crumbs. It was my family’s favorite of all the ones I made. (And I’ve made a lot :-))

• Je vais tester ca de mon coté et je viens vers toi quand j’ai des nouvelles. Très bon thème :) Chef Tiramisu.

• Marin May 9, 2013, 10:17 pm

I also was curious if I am supposed to put the fruit on before putting it in the oven, or after? I’m clueless lol

• Marin May 9, 2013, 10:18 pm

Nevermind, didn’t read it all the way through O_o

• Kelley May 19, 2013, 2:00 pm

This recipe is seriously awesome. At first I had doubts that it achieve a real cheesecake texture but it really does. I’m pregnant and trying to find healthier dessert options since my sweet tooth is getting the best of me. This does it! The second one I made, I bought 2 small containers of Fage 2% yogurt wih blueberry topping, which is contained separately. I added the fage 2% yogurt with the Chobani 0% and reserved the blueberry topping to add as a topping to the whole cake once cooled. I also omitted the graham cracker crust in the recipe and just toasted some crushed graham crackers to sprinkle on top when I eat a piece. For anyone wondering, the original recipe is approx. 200 calories. 2.5 gms of fat and 8.5 gms of protein! The second version I made is about 185 calories with 2 gms of fat and 10 grams of protein (and had more cheesecake filling :). Thanks sooo much for the recipe!!

• A Baking Girl May 19, 2013, 3:11 pm

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the nutrition info!

• Joe May 21, 2013, 4:12 am

Is that nutritional information for the entire pie? Or is it for a slice and, if so, how many slices per pie?

• kelley May 23, 2013, 11:22 am

that is per slice – 8 slices in whole pie.

• Vanessa June 5, 2013, 3:36 pm

I tweaked this a bit to make it more “low carb” friendly…

2 cups fat free plain Greek yogurt
    1/2 cup coconut sugar
    pinch of salt
    2 eggs
    1 vanilla bean (seeds scraped out) or 2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 T coconut flour

it turned out great. Coconut flour made it a bit thicker, which I enjoyed! here are the macros:

Amount per Serving
    Calories 106
    Calories from Fat 11.0
    Total Fat 1.22g
    Saturated Fat 0.38g
    Cholesterol 46.25mg
    Sodium 43.44mg
    Total Carbohydrate 16.83g
    Dietary Fiber 0.5g
    Sugars 16.4g
    Protein 7.08g

• A Baking Girl June 5, 2013, 4:19 pm

Wow thanks for all the nutritional info! This looks great and I’m glad you enjoyed it.

• Azi June 8, 2013, 7:40 pm

This was INSANE:) I made it as a cheesecake pudding w/o the crust and it was awesome!
    Thanks1

• Rhea June 16, 2013, 1:36 pm

I just made this pie the other day.

I made a small change and used duck eggs instead of chicken eggs, I found it gave the cheesecake a great texture and thickness (its a great way to make low fat cheesecake taste and feel like full fat as well). And my father who doesn’t like cheesecake really liked it :)

• Marie Shanahan July 10, 2013, 1:02 am

I love this recipe. I’ve finally succeeded in losing a very stubborn to come off 10 pounds by not eating ANY real sweets or bread. And it worked and I’m keeping the slim figure, but I read somewhere to keep people from feeling, well “dead” :) LOL while trying to maintain weight, it pays to have a not too devastating dessert a few times per week. This sounds perfect. Absolutely lovely. It’s going to be the first one of the first things I make on Saturday morning. And I love that you could probably add some melted, bittersweet, dark chocolate chips and raspberry puree for the top and not be cheating too much! So thank you, smart lady! I think I might substitute the sugar for Truvia, just because I like the taste and that would slim it down even more.

Gotta love Greeks for thinking of stuff like this.. :)

• Lindsay July 16, 2013, 3:40 pm

This was so delicious!!! I replaced the sugar with sugar substitute and used egg whites instead of eggs and it got such great reviews. I didn’t have any leftovers so I actually have another one in the oven (crustless) right now. For the first one, I made my own blueberry sauce to top it with, but I think with this next one I’ll just use no sugar added jam. Thank you so much for sharing such a fantastic recipe!

• Kathy July 17, 2013, 4:00 pm

I’ve lost weight by lowering sugar intake so I used 24 Murray’s no-sugar added shortbread cookies processed into crumbs and 2 Tablespoons of melted Benecol for the crust and baked it for 10 minutes. I also used xylitol instead of sugar and doubled the cornstarch. It was great! I am going to try adding Dutch-processed cocoa with a little more xylitol to make a chocolate-flavored one next time…maybe adding some coffee extract for a mocha cheesecake! Thanks for a super recipe:)

• John August 10, 2013, 1:12 am

I will be trying this tomorrow, as the wife and I have a dinner to attend in the evening. Can’t wait to see if it is any good. By the way, you are an outstanding photographer, these images are very professional looking. Did you take the shots next to a window? I’ve heard that window light is the best for food images. Anyway, thanks for the recipe.

• A Baking Girl August 14, 2013, 1:40 pm

Thanks for the complements, John! If you take a look at some of my first posts, you’ll see that I used to have no clue what I was doing with a camera, so that means a lot. Yes, I take most of my photos by a window and always use natural light. It’s one of the easiest tricks for turning out good food photography, although it took me a bit before I figured that out :)

• Johnny C. August 15, 2013, 7:20 am

I just made this. We always have eggs in the house; ironically I guess my son ate the last of them. Luckily we had the liquid egg whites in a carton, which I used. The “cheesecake” is cooling now. When I pulled it out of the oven, it rose almost as high as the springform pan, I was pretty concerned. But after taking it out, it settled, and, as I mentioned, cooling. The smell is amazing, a warm and strong vanilla scent. I hope it tastes good. I’ll let you know…

• Johnny C. August 15, 2013, 5:10 pm

So I finished it. Texture was not like cheesecake, more like a cream pie. Maybe because of the egg whites? Don’t know. Put it in the freezer to make it firmer. Here’s a picture I took:

• A Baking Girl August 17, 2013, 8:47 pm

Whoa I love the picture, and the berries on top look delicious. I can tell that the texture looks a bit different than what the recipe usually yields, which is probably due to the egg whites. I hope it tasted as good as it looks though!

• Kelly Wight November 28, 2013, 6:36 pm

I modified your recipe and shared on Facebook with pictures. Here’s the post. Kelly Wight
    Dark Chocolate Pomegranate Cheesecake – no cream cheese, no sugar!
    Crust: Famous Chocolate Wafer cookies, food process to fine crumbs, add 1/2 stick melted butter, press in to 10 in springform pan.
    Batter: in food processor mix 2 cups fat free plain Greek yogurt, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of Stevia (use the Stevia that is made to be measured the same as sugar), and 2 tsp vanilla extract until smooth. Add 1 Tbs cornstarch and pinch of salt. Set aside half batter, pour remaining half of batter onto crust. Melt 2 ounces dark chocolate in glass dish in microwave. Stir melted chocolate into set aside batter, add to pan and swirl through to marble. Bake at 350 for 40 min. Cool and chill. To make pomegranate sauce place the seeds of one pomegranate in a pan with 1 cup of water, boil for 30 min. Smash seeds with the bottom of a glass while cooking to get the juice out of them. Press through strainer to remove the seeds. Return to pan to continue cooking with tsp of honey. Cook until slightly thickened. Pour over cheesecake. Top with fresh pomegranate seeds, chill.
    This was my first attempt at healthy-ing up a cheesecake recipe. I got the base recipe for Greek yogurt cheesecake from http://www.abakinggirl.com. I adapted from her recipe. I couldn’t be happier with the results. This is easily as good, OR BETTER than any other cheesecake I’ve made and there have been plenty.

• Pinky L January 20, 2014, 10:51 pm

Hi! I just want to ask if i can use this recipe and bake it in cupcake form? I don’t have a spring form pan =)

• A Baking Girl January 20, 2014, 11:30 pm

Well I’ve never baked them like that, but I think cupcake form would probably work. If you do use a cupcake pan, I’d just be sure to keep an eye on them in the oven, as they’ll likely take less time to bake. I’d also recommend using cupcake tins so that they can come out easily without breaking. Good luck, and let me know if they turn out!

• Carly January 21, 2014, 11:19 pm

Hi! I’m interested in trying this recipe but would like for the cheesecake to be a bit thicker than what the pictures show. Any thoughts on how I could change the amounts to achieve this? Thanks!

• A Baking Girl January 22, 2014, 8:27 am

You could easily double to recipe to make it thicker, or multiply each amount by 1.5. If you make the filling thicker, just be sure to increase the baking time and keep an each on your cheesecake. You want the edges to be somewhat set and the center to still be a bit jiggly.

• Carly January 28, 2014, 9:45 pm

Thank you for your prompt response. I tried the recipe with 1tsp almond extract rather than vanilla, & it was delicious!

• A Baking Girl January 29, 2014, 10:07 am

So glad it worked out! I LOVE almond extract, so I bet that was delicious ;)

• Le-Anne Deckers January 25, 2014, 8:09 pm

lovely ‘cheese’cake…I like to use ground almonds for the base…no added fat needed. I process the almonds with a few dates and vanilla until it just starts to combine. Very mild taste so it doesn’t overpower the filling and soooo glutenfree!

• Betty Kohn January 31, 2014, 7:42 pm

Hi Rossi……I am Harriet’s mom….so excited about your culinary talents …getting ready to make cheese cake…..Teddy bought
    Vanilla beans..each about 7 inches long…do I need all of that? Or is it okay to just use extract?

Hope to see you soon….congrats on your scholarship!!!

• A Baking Girl January 31, 2014, 7:46 pm

Hi Mrs. Kohn! You can either use the seeds from one vanilla bean or the vanilla extract- you don’t have to use both. Good luck and happy baking!

• Tanya February 11, 2014, 8:12 pm

It just came out of the oven and looks great. Hubby asked when can he get a slice. What I love is the simplicity of the recipe. I made it all in my food processor. First did the crust, then the filling, didn’t bother to clean the bowl n between. I will update my review once I taste it. I can think of several variations if the basic one works. Thanks much for sharing.

• Sophie Park February 21, 2014, 5:43 pm

OMG THIS IS FOOD ORGASM!!! Thanks for the recipe it was very delicious! I used Stevia instead of sugar and I only made the base and it was soooooo good =D!!! and I ate the whole thing :) by myself

• A Baking Girl February 23, 2014, 12:44 pm

Thanks Sophie! That’s the beauty of these healthy desserts… you can eat them all and still not feel guilty :)

• Tanya Pal March 21, 2014, 3:07 am

Hey! I was wondering whether you could add some chocolate or lime to this recipe?! Please let me now how!

• A Baking Girl March 21, 2014, 8:24 am

If you want to add chocolate chunks or chips, you can just add them directly to the filling before baking. If you want a full on chocolate filling, I would add some melted chocolate to the food processor and blend it together with the filling. For lime, just add enough lime juice to reach your desired taste directly to the filling.

• Bianca March 31, 2014, 2:56 am

This looks like a great alternative to the traditional cheesecake! That’s great for people like me who find cream cheese laden cheesecake too rich and heavy. I was wondering if this can be baked in a 8″ springform pan instead? It’s the only springform I own. Thanks! Off I go to check out your other recipes!

• A Baking Girl March 31, 2014, 7:53 am

Yep, it could definitely be baked in an 8″ pan- just keep an eye on it regarding baking time because it might take a few minutes longer.

• Anchita April 11, 2014, 1:21 am

Can u tell me if this recipe can b made without eggs, what can be the substitute as the “egg replacer” is also not available in my part of the country.

• A Baking Girl April 11, 2014, 7:49 am

Hi Anchita, I’m not sure if there really is a substitute for the eggs. If it’s cholesterol or calories you’re worried about, you can try to use egg whites instead, but other than that or an “egg replacer”, I do think anything else would really work.

• Noor May 27, 2014, 12:29 am

i tried this yogurt cheesecake. I added Oreos to it. it’s delicious. many thanks for the recipe :)

• Tanya September 26, 2014, 5:45 am

Can you substitute the Greek yogurt and sugar with sweetened condensed milk?

• A Baking Girl September 26, 2014, 8:58 am

You could, but it would turn out to have more of the consistency of key lime pie than cheesecake. I wouldn’t recommend it if you want a cheesecake

• Kleo October 18, 2014, 8:17 pm

I have a friend who is a nutritionist and loves oreo cheesecake (and any other cheesecake she can have her hands on). I’ll make this recipe with oreo tomorrow & 60% dark chocolate and I’ll give a review based on that recipe and the reactions. Being Greek, greek yogurt can always be found in my fridge ;)
    Wish me luck!

• A Baking Girl October 18, 2014, 9:22 pm

Yum, sounds delicious! Let me know how it goes! And being Greek myself, I definitely know a thing or two about always having yogurt around ;)